Monday 6 February 2012

The Great Eggplant Experiment

I've never tried to grow eggplants (aubergines) before. I like eating them, they're pretty, there's enough variety amongst them to satisfy the pickiest of gardeners (in appearance, if not taste). But they can be a bit tricky to grow in the UK. It originated on the Indian sub-continent, so needs more warmth, light, and a longer growing season than we normally get. So I've never bothered to give it a try. But this year I have a plan. I've started my seed off (January 30th) already, to give them the longest growing season possible. And I've also acquired a plastic greenhouse (a 'blowaway') to put them in after the frosts. This will hopefully give them more warmth and light than my windowsill could ever afford.

I'm trialling three types. 'Black Enorma,' 'Little Prince,' and 'Szechuan.' The first (seed from Thompson & Morgan) is supposed to crop early, but prolifically. The second (seed bought from a garden center in NY) is supposed to be early and small enough to grow in containers. The third one (seed from a seed swap) is supposedly very tasty and performs well in the British climate. We shall see.
Seeds in their mini-greenhouse
The first one was up today - a little 'Black Enorma.'

You can just about see it...
They were all sown into peat-free compost mixed with perlite (in yogurt pots with holes cut in the bottom). Then placed in a tray with water in it and put into a bag to make a mini-counter greenhouse. I open the bag daily to ventilate it. I keep them on a sunny counter, but away from my windows for now as they get really chilly.

And what do I plan to do with my bountiful eggplant harvet, you ask? Why this...

Fried Eggplant and Garlic Dip
3 Tb. oil
Eggplant, cut into small pieces
1c water
3-4 cloves of garlic, sliced
5 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
2 Tb soy sauce

Heat the oil and add the eggplant, cooking till soft. Add the water and garlic and simmer (making sure the garlic does not burn). In a bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and then add to the pan. Cook until sauce is thickened. Serve with pita.

So what eggplants are you growing this year? And what do you plan on doing with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment